Sunday, June 13, 2010

My newest angel

This is my friend, Lisa. She is 6 months older than I am. She got married a year after Mark and I did. Her oldest boys are the same ages as Annie and Sam. We met for breakfasts early on Saturday mornings and would laugh and share our souls over coffee. We would meet with our kids in tow to Chuck E. Cheese throughout the year, collecting tickets and coins and smiling over how good the pizza actually is.
She is a kindred spirit. One of the few friends I have met as an adult that is as awesome as my girlfriends in high school. We shared stories about our kids. We shared tales about our husbands. We shared our thoughts on God and often gave each other prayer requests. I had always known that Lisa would be a lifelong friend.
Lisa passed away on Friday afternoon.
She had been diagnosed with stage III breast cancer when she was nursing her youngest son. I had hoped and prayed she would still be with us for at least a couple more years. God had other plans.
Lisa was a fighter. Even in her last weeks she brought peace and serenity to those who came to see her. She never believed that cancer would win.
As you read this, please say a prayer for her family.
As for me, I am struggling to say good bye.
In denial that our Saturday breakfasts and Chuck E Cheese days are over.
But also feeling blessed that I have a personal angel watching over me.
Rest in peace, Lisa.
Give Jesus a big hug for me.
I will miss you dearly.

2 comments:

  1. That's such a sad story Robin, I don't quite know what to say. I'll pray for Lisa's family and for you to help you all through this time of grief. - Fran

    ReplyDelete